Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Muslim Students Association, Laramie Wyoming


This is a bad photograph of the former church in Laramie Wyoming which is now the Muslim Students Association.  The church in the background is St. Paul's United church of Christ.  This building was clearly originally a Christian church, but I don't know the history of the building, so I don't know what it was.

For classification purposes, I'm listing this under the label "mosque" but I don't think it really is. Rather, its a center. The Muslim students at UW have had a center for quite some time, but up until this building was acquired I do not think they had one that was purpose built as a religious building.  Indeed, when I was a student at UW their center was in an apartment building even though there were a lot of Muslim students at that time.

This photo was taken from my truck as this is in a residential neighborhood and, given the context of the times, stopping to take a better photograph probably would have looked a bit odd, so this bad photo will have to suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment