Sunday, May 4, 2014

Church Ruin, West Laramie, Wyoming




This striking church ruin is located in West Laramie, Wyoming

The structure is clearly that of a classic Gothic style church, which was constructed out of stone and cement.  The structure of the church itself would tend to indicate that it was likely built in a classic Catholic church manner, which would indicate here that the church was likely built with a Catholic or Episcopalian congregation in mind, although its location might possibly indicate that it was built as a chapel for the Territorial Prison in Laramie.  The structure is very old, and its been in ruins for as long as I personally can recall.  It's now located on the grounds of a farm, but at the time it was built it would have been actually several miles outside of Laramie, and indeed it would have been at least three miles from the territorial prison.

This church is a mystery to me, and if anyone knows what it was, I'd appreciate knowing.

2 comments:

  1. I will find the article to update, but this was supposed to be a home but I dont think it was ever finished. It looks like a church but never was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've been told that and actually thought I'd posted that information here before, but I see that I did not. What I was told is that the property owner liked that style and sought to build a house reflecting it.

      Delete